Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Doug Jaques

I've been attempting to research into the previous image I posted by Doug Jaques but with success. It appears that in the art world every so often a Christian artist will appear, but it is then impossible to find out any farther information on the artist in question or their work, which is extremely frustrating to be contently heading dead ends. I have been able to find a little about him and during my search discovered a few other interesting artists.
Doug Jaques took part in a Stations of the Cross exhibition over in America, the image I found on my last post formed part of this exhibition. I was attracted to it because of the colour and light bursting out of the darkness, I love the sense of pain and emotion in the painting, and how there are two images of Jesus, his dying human form and the victorious spiritual body looking up towards the heavens. I was also able to find a few pencil drawing by him, which I was like. It feels like there’s a sense of care and passion in his work, with fine careful details adding depth and awe to the images. The link above explains better than I could about the image using verses from the bible that Jaques must have inspired by. (I've been attempting for about three hours to attach images to go with this, but still having no joy, I'll attempt to post them later.)
Whilst looking for images by Doug Jaques I came across a website called CIVA: Christians In Visual Art, which is an American based web site that was created to explore the relationship between the art world and the Christian faith. It was founded in 1979 and has continued to grow. Their purpose is to encourage Christian artists to explore their faith through visual means, and to support people in the many problems that arise in the art world without compromising their faith. CIVA regularly had touring exhibitions, which unfortunately have yet to reach England, an online gallery, as well as recommending reading material, holding conferences and workshops to help develop skills.
http://www.civa.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home