Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Paul Hobbs

Three in One: Body of Christ Details by Paul Hobbs
Right...well I just wrote a post of Paul Hobbs, even saved it as a draft, but some how its managed to disappear into thin air, and I have no idea why, or how to get it back...doing well!(and yes tried to use the 'recover post' button, but all it recovered was a blank page...)
Ok let’s try again...
After not getting very far with researching into Doug Jaques I decided to attempt something else. I'm still determined to find a Christian, whose work I actually like, that I can find information on. Although I did discover a website for an artist called Doug Jaques, but it had no reference to the exhibitions I was aware of him participating in, or display any of the paintings I’ve found. So I have decided there could possible be to artists with the same name, which is unusual, but can not seen to find a link been the two.
I originally inspired to have this as my mission after visiting the stations of a cross exhibition at St Mary Le Bow Church. Through attempting to research into that exhibition I discovered that was a popular topic for Christian artists, something that I was completely not aware of until then. My research lead me to many interesting artists, but it seems that you can never find out more than one exhibition a Christian artist has appeared in, and certainly can not find out about the actual artist. This has been extremely frustrating but I'm ever hopeful that my hours and hours of research will eventually pay off.
Whilst looking through some old sketch books I came across a post card by an artist called Paul Hobbs, which triggered my memory and has started this phase in my exploration. Over the past few years I have been attending a Christian festival at Bath and West show ground called Soul Survivor, strongly recommend it to anyone…
http://www.soulsurvivor.com/uk/homepage.asp
At Soul Survivor they often have a venue called the Art Shed, which has a small exhibition of Christian artists, holds workshops, and is just open for people to go sit inside and paint. One of the artist’s who has often exhibited there, and where I got the post card from, is Paul Hobbs.
Paul Hobbs is a Christian British artist born in 1964. He began by studying for his during in 1983 at Pembroke College, Cambridge, for a B.A. Hons. Degree in Social & Political Science. After which in 1986 he attend The Byam Shaw School of Art, London, and studied for a Diploma in Fine Art. In 1989 Hobbs become a assistant art teacher at Canford School, in Dorset, where he stayed for three years. Since 1991 Paul Hobbs has been producing his own art work, participating in group exhibitions as well as sole shows, holding workshops for people, carrying out commission pieces and becoming involved with public projects. He has also been teaching as a Sixth Form art tutor at Dean Close School, Cheltenham.
I more I’ve been researching into Paul Hobbs, the more I like and admire his attitude and work. He believes God has provided him with the opportunity to use art as a form of worship and a method to communicate with people God’s love for us and the world. Hobbs is a great example of the type of artist I admire and who I’ve been searching to present for this assessment. He is committed to producing art that can publicly be used to benefit society.
'I keep going because, however difficult, this work is the most fulfilling and particular contribution that I believe I can make. Showing one’s work to others is a great thrill, and seeing people open up to art and faith is a great reward. ' Hobbs
(http://www.uccf.org.uk/yourcourse/artists/professionalprofiles/index.php?artistid=2)
For example Paul Hobbs has worked within schools, both with the students and producing commission pieces, as well as offering workshops to challenge and encourage other artists to express their faith with in their work.
A project that Hobbs is most famous for is called 'Holy Ground', which was first shown at Greenbelt Festival. He spent two years collecting testimonies and shoes from Christians around the world. This has then been used to form an installation that has been touring the country. It has been shown in a number of churches, cathedrals as well as universities.
left:Holy Ground installation at University of Gloucester.
right: The shoes of New York model, Laura Calenberg.
It has been shown in a number of churches, cathedrals as well as universities.
The shoes are from a variety of people, from Hitler’s god daughter, to Muslim woman, who as had to remain anonymous, as in her society she is not allowed to voice her faith. Hobbs intention was to give people a sense of “excitement as to who God's people are” and to combine it with the “stories of transformation” relating to each of the owners shoes. Hobbs has explained that this project was challenging as for some cultures “Handling and valuing shoes in the way I’m doing is like asking somebody to give me their dirty handkerchief, somebody told me." Where as “For other people it was a delight and a joy and a way of thanking God for what he’s done”.
Paul Hobbs titled the exhibition 'Holy Ground' as he was impressed by the story of Moses, when he first encounters God, Moses is asked to take off his shoes to recognise God's holiness. The story of each of the shoes relates to this action, and most people described their encounters with God and talk of how he has shaped, protected and influenced their lives.
I feel this installation is a great example of how Paul Hobbs uses his skills to not only educate people on different social cultures, but to show them a real world with inspirational stories of a variety of believers voicing their strengths in God despite hardships, and their joy in worshiping Him. Unfortunately I have been unable to view this exhibition for myself, but after reading many articles about it and viewing photographs I feel I have gained a sense of what it is.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

If the image does not display when you first load the page, click on it and then go back, that should make it show!

10 May, 2006 22:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home