Tuesday, January 02, 2007

websites

Like most other Christian artists, or people producing art in relation to, its hard to find information. These are the best sources of references I've been able to find, other than my own personal first hand experience of Charlie Mackesy.
http://www.belgraviagallery.com/WorksBy30MACKESYCHARLIE.HTM
http://www.artnet.com/artist/132654/Charlie-mackesy.html
http://www.radley.org.uk/or/OldRadleian/2003/pdfs/Mackesy2003.pdf
http://charliemackesy.com/index.php
The last website is a site that Mackesy has constructed himself, but he has only recently published it. I was excited to see that he had included a journal talking about his last art work at St Pauls Church , Hammersmith, inviting people go to meet him there. Unfortunately I found this too late, and he has yet to post anything else, and as far as I can tell there is no method of leaving a note, or a message, other than emailing. If he does not post something soon, I may email him asking for more information on his latest work.
A quote that Mackesy has used on several websites is:
GK Chesterton-- 'At the back of our brains is a blaze of astonishment at our own existence. The object of the artistic and spiritual life is to dig for this sunrise of wonder'.
An interesting view.
According to one article I found, Mackesy first started painting angels, one of his most common themes, after his housemate was diagnosed with cancer. Macksey on his own website highlights his common themes but states he wished not to express his intentions behind so as not to deprive the viewer of their own thoughts and associations. I guess I'm glad I found this information out after seeing his work rather before, as I would have been evaluating the paintings from a completely different perspective. Ie did his friend survive, what happened, did he have a vision of an angel comforting him, or was the angel his friend?
A bazaar piece of information, apparently Charlie Mackesy ' rowed naked in a bath tub from Kew to Greenwich with Bear Grylls to raise money to buy a high-tech artificial leg for a friend.' (The Old Radleian, 2003 pg21).
I found out Charlie Mackesy's name after seeing a book by J John in a Christian bookshop which had the Prodigal Son painting as the front cover. I learning that the best information is simple found by constantly having our eyes open and payingf attention to the world around you. It is amazing how much is there if you just open your eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home